Now that the autumn New England temperatures are slowly falling, I have been craving some warming, rich, and flavorful foods to enjoy still hot from the oven. Before my most recent half marathon race, I had the fiercest craving for a warm banana bread, the type that my mom made when I was growing up, when I could down half a loaf because it’s just that dang delicious. But I also wanted something chocolate (um, what else is new?). 😉 So….why not put those two things together and make something unreal delicious? Yes, please. I took a banana bread recipe that I had been playing around with and perfecting, and added raw cacao powder AND vegan chocolate chips to fulfill my chocolate banana bread cravings. The result was AMAZING. This bread is decadent, moist, super chocolatey, without obliterating the cozy and familiar banana flavor that still comes through to complement the richness of the chocolate. It is definitely more of a rich treat than a “bread” per se, and my co-workers could not believe that it was made completely dairy and egg free! There are plenty of variations you can do to tailor this recipe to your needs: you can replace the flour with your favorite gluten-free variety to make this recipe gluten free, you can substitute cacao nibs for the chocolate chips if you’d like a different texture, and you can even add your favorite chopped nuts (think walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, pecans) for an additional flavor impact. If you’d like to be a mega bro, or are watching your macros, you can cut down on the sugar and add a scoop of chocolate protein powder. Without further ado:
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- 3 medium override bananas, well mashed
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil (or a neutral flavored oil, such as peanut or light olive – you can also use coconut, but that will add a coconut flavor to the bread)
- ¾ cup of coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup of semi-sweet vegan chocolate chips (or cacao nibs)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan (I used a glass Pyrex pan that I sprayed with Pam non-stick baking spray, and that worked out just fine).
- In a large bowl, mash your bananas. Add oil, sugar, vanilla and milk, and beat until smooth.
- In a separate medium bowl, add your dry ingredients. Mix the flour, cacao powder, baking powder and baking soda until it is homogeneous. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in a large bowl and combine until well mixed. Gently fold in your chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into your pre-greased pan and stick it into the oven. Bake the bread for about 50 – 55 minutes, or until the bread has risen, is slightly cracked at the top and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow your banana bread to cool for 10 minutes, then gently remove from pan and transfer to baking rack to cool completely. Enjoy!! 😀
This recipe is unreal. It is one of the best banana bread recipes that I’ve ever made, and it definitely satisfies your chocolate craving. Not only that, but it’s really easy to throw together and it tastes really impressive – like you were slaving away in your kitchen, but really you just throw the ingredients together and allow that sucker to bake to perfection. You should have most, if not all, of the ingredients on hand, and it’s a great recipe to whip up for weekend brunch, or just for a sweet treat. As I mentioned above, my co-workers who sampled this recipe did not believe that it was vegan – it just tastes so rich and MOIST (the key feature that is usually missing in vegan baking). It is really friggin’ delicious. I hope that you enjoy this recipe as much as I did.
Hope you all have a great week! I’m having fun exploring the veg cuisine scene down here in Alabama! 😉 Updates to come. Take care, all!
PS: I have a confession to make. I ate two slices topped with So Delicious CocoWhip (non-dairy whip cream) and it was……YUM. There are no words, so delicious! I highly recommend trying it that way, if you’d like to eat a slice for dessert.
PPS: Marty McFly comes today guys!!! Get pumped!!!