Eating healthy and balanced is one of the pillars for good health. And it is much more when you are pregnant, because your developing baby needs essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals to grow healthy. However, there are certain foods that you should avoid because they can cause problems during pregnancy. Here we tell you what they are. Take note!
When you are pregnant, eating takes on a new meaning. Everything you eat and drink will affect the development of your baby for better or for worse. Therefore, it is essential that you know how to choose a good balanced diet so that that little person who is forming in your belly, does not lack anything. In fact, during the nine months of pregnancy, on average you should eat 300 calories more per day than you usually consumed before becoming pregnant.
However, in addition to keeping in mind that you must include a variety of foods rich in nutrients, you should also stay alert because there are some foods and drinks that are not recommended during pregnancy, because they can negatively affect the development of your baby.
What are the foods you should avoid?
- Fish with high mercury content. While fish is a good source of nutrition during pregnancy because it contains essential fatty acids such as Omega 3, there are some that are not recommended. These are those that contain high amounts of mercury, as they are dangerous for the development of your baby’s nervous system. Avoid large fish such as tuna (even canned, although it has lower mercury levels), shark, swordfish and mackerel, among others. You can continue to enjoy salmon, crab, tilapia and other seafood such as shrimp, but not exceeding 12 ounces a week, which is the amount recommended by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA). acronym in English).
- Raw foods of animal origin, since they can have bacteria and parasites that endanger the health of the baby. If you like ceviche, sushi and carpaccio , you will have to abstain during the months of gestation. These seafood, fish and raw meats are best avoided. You should also avoid cured and smoked sausages such as serrano ham, salami (salami), sausages and chorizo, to name a few. The eggs, eat them when the yolk is hard and also make sure that if you are baking something, the dough is well cooked. Avoid clams and oysters completely (oysters).
- Unpasteurized milk, because it can produce listeriosis, a bacterial disease that attacks various organs of the body. Make sure that the cheeses and other milk products are made with pasteurized milk. Avoid soft cheeses like Brie, Feta, Camembert, blue cheese and Mexican cheeses like fresh cheese, white cheese or panela cheese.
In general, you should have washed vegetables and fruits well, and avoid eating raw vegetable sprouts, as they may contain bacteria dangerous to your pregnancy. You must also cook meat and chicken well.
But not only certain foods can pose a risk to your pregnancy. Also some drinks. You must avoid at all costs:
- Alcoholic beverages such as wine, beer and liquors, since they take away oxygen and nutrients from the cells, thus damaging the normal development of the fetus. The intellectual and physical effects of exposing a baby to alcohol are permanent. So, always avoid it!
- Unpasteurized juices or juices because they may contain bacteria such as E. Coli.
- Drinks with caffeine such as tea, coffee, sodas and energy drinks. The recommendation of the health authorities in the United States is to limit their consumption to 200 milligrams per day.
As you can see, there are some precautions you should take when feeding during the 9 months of your pregnancy. If you have any doubts about the foods you should avoid so as not to harm your baby, consult your doctor. Your baby’s health comes first!