To me, fall in New England means warming and comforting foods, full of flavor and nutrients. I have been a really big fan of earthy flavors recently, and this hearty stew is no exception. I combined the earthy lentils, kale and turnips with a smoky, piquant flavor from the spices, and the result is amazing. This stew has definitely earned its place in my regular fall recipe arsenal. To make this no-brainer stew even easier, I bought pre-cleaned and cut kale, and pre-cut turnips so I could just throw the ingredients together into the slow cooker and walk away. You can also make this on the stove top – just simmer for about an hour, or until the lentils have fully cooked and you can easily stick a knife into the turnips. This is the perfect recipe for a chilly fall day.
Spiced Lentil, Kale & Turnip Stew
- 1 cup brown lentils, washed
- 4 cups kale, chopped and destemmed
- 16 oz package of pre-cut turnips, cut into 1 to 2-inch pieces
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 – 6 cups of low-sodium veggie broth
- Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a small sauté pan, then add shallots and sauté until the edges are brown. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
2. Place the shallot-garlic mixture, chopped kale, tomato paste, broth, lentils, turnips, and spices into a slow cooker.
3. Close the lid of the slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 5 hours, making sure the lentils are fully cooked (and you can easily stick a knife into the turnips).
4. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with crusty whole-grain bread. Enjoy!
I really enjoyed this stew. It’s simple, hearty, flavorful and full of good things for you. The flavors are complex and warming; it’s the farthest thing from bland as possible. By purchasing pre-cut and pre-washed veggies, throwing all the ingredients together was a piece of cake! I truly hope you all enjoy this stew as much as I did! 😀
Fitness update: Today in Sarah’s bootcamp, we kicked some serious butt with jumping, running, planking and shoulder workout drills. We ended by playing a Western New York fave, Knock Out, and finished by playing 5 on 5 basketball. It was super fun, and definitely got my day off to a great start! Who can say they scored some baskets at 6 am on a Thursday? 😉
Have a great day, everyone!