It was not easy to get out of bed today. I had to put some extra zap into my internal monologue to convince my limbs to extract themselves from the warm and uber cozy blanket cocoon they were wrapped in. When your alarm goes off at 5:05 am (yes I need those extra five minutes) everyday, it is hard to un-starfish yourself, put on spandex and get your booty out the door. When I’m really not feeling it, I always tell myself (“L, let’s discuss…”):
1. You’ll feel better if you go (When have you ever regretted going to the gym?).
2. You won’t be able to fall back asleep and you’ll be mad at yourself for not going (This is true 95% of the time).
3. Your workout is DONE before 7 am!
4. You get to see your gym buddies, and they all had to get up out of bed too.
Active L won over Grumpy L, and I managed to make it all the way to the gym to find out that the Boot Camp instructor was not feeling well and wouldn’t be able to make it. I definitely had a moment of “What?! NO!!!” and then realized that I was facing either a really boring workout on the treadmill (AND my headphones were sitting in my car….which was far away…ish…) or we were going to have to pull off Boot Camp ourselves. Luckily, my gym buddy K and I are the bossiest b*tches around, so we came up with a pretty dope circuit (with the assistance of the “Dance Cardio” Pandora station, we killed it). So, just in case you’re in need for a pretty killer workout today with limited equipment (a set of heavy weights, an aerobic step bench with risers, a barbell) – here you go!! 😀 😀
Each station was done for 1 minute each, and in between each circuit we ran 2 sets of stairs (~4 flights each per set).
Circuit One: Legs
1. Jumping over bench (Bench with 2 risers on each side)
2. Bulgarian Lunges off the bench with weights (Bench with 2 risers)
5. Dumbbell Step-Up on Bench (Bench with 5 risers)
6. Squats with barbell (with 20 lbs or more on barbell)
7. Push/flip heavy boxing bag
After repeating the Leg circuit twice, we switched the circuit around, using the same equipment, to focus on arms.
Circuit Two: Arms
1. Mountain climbers off the bench
2. Chest fly with weights
5. Dips off bench (or overhead tricep extension)
6. Shoulder press with barbell (I did a squat press because I’m a lover of squats – gotta get that booty!)
We did the arm circuit twice as well, and let me tell you, as I sit here typing it and drinking coffee, I can FEEL it! Workout success! It was not only the physical challenge that gave me the extra boost I feel today, but the mental challenge as well. I tend to go to classes every morning because I sometimes shy away from creating my own workouts. Beyond the fact that I simply like exercising in a group setting, creating my own workout seems a little intimidating. But you realize, that in a pinch, you know more than you give yourself credit for and it’s really not that difficult after all. It also helped that I felt I had to make my instructor proud, so I pushed myself to the very last second of that one minute interval (I was also the time-keeper, so I felt it was necessary to be a good example). It’s often the mental challenge that we overcome (knowing you pushed yourself, even though class didn’t go as planned, and there was no one cheering you on besides yourself) that makes you really feel like you drank your boom juice.
In the end, it didn’t really matter that half the class left before we set up our amazing circuit and only ~10 – 15 people participated, it mattered that the two new girls who had never been before said, “This is really hard! You’re kicking our ass.” I knew my trainer would be proud. 😀
I hope you guys get a big ol’cup of boom juice this morning to get your day started. 😛